Saturday, December 25, 2010

surprised monster

I like the idea of monsters being afraid, although I think this guy was just caught by surprise.
Going to cast this guy in resin after refining him a little.



Sunday, December 12, 2010

Hand life casts

Been a busy weekend, one mission was to do a hand life cast to scan... not entirely successful but now Im out of 880 alginate and not planning to buy any more, at least until Ive tried working with Body Double silicone...
anyway, they look nice but perhaps a little relax for a good digital asset, too many creases.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Roto Caster

Attempting to cast thin walls for my bug below, and failing, I realised how tired I was of 'rolling' the mold around with my hands until the resin set... as with other projects. So I decided to make something that would do it for me.
I got the gears and chains for free from charitable cyclist store, the wood, metal rods and other bits cost about $70-$80 I guess, so, In total, its far cheaper than the ones you buy for a 0 or 2 more.
It still needs a little tweaking but so far so good. Ill test it out this weekend when my long suffering girlfriend is at work and wont have listen to the drill that powers it go on for an hour or so while she tries to study...



 
The idea is that you place your mold, with the liquid material inside, in the middle of the machine and it will slowly slosh the material around, evenly on all the walls, it isnt designed to be centrifugal. 
The irregular speed in the video is purely due to my poor drill trigger squeezing skills:)

Bug WIP

I wanted to cast a mix of soft and hard materials and blend them as a test for future projects, and a fat little bug seemed like a good place to try it out.
Legs will be done properly later, just roughed out for now

Friday, November 12, 2010

Robotic Arm

Also, more on the electronics side of things, Ive been building this robotic arm that should have quite a degree in dexterity. Ultimately I\ll build a final prototype in 3D and have it printed, but for now this is a good way to work out the mechanics

Oscillator

Ive had a little break from sculpting and casting and tested out the possibility of making a Theremin or at least some electronic music device. So I built this little oscillator... tho most of it is straight out of a book for an alarm system I like the range of tones you get from using your fingers as resistance for the capacitor.
Simple things in life:)

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

hair punchin time


Time to curl up in front of the TV with beer and punch some hair.

Will get some better pictures later.





Sunday, October 24, 2010

LifeCast in silicone

Silicone recast... with a pretty crappy paint job. Testing for an animatronic

Silicone busts

Update on an old bust and a newer guy. Pretty happy with the detail reproduction of these, but Im going to have to recast the new guy, not happy with the base tone.

Also not happy with Bloggers new photo layout options... bloody frustrating!!!






Wednesday, October 13, 2010

pouting thug

Silicone bust with some test hair. Eyes still to be done.



















and pre-hair

Monday, September 27, 2010

Bunny Man Update

After spending a day making a mold for this guy I was at last ready to do a little metal casting. Still needs refining, but pretty happy how it went.

 A little of the process, from the wax cast, matrix molding and alloy casting.

   

  

Monday, September 20, 2010

Updated earlier work

I finished this... then decided to go back to it.


Sunday, September 19, 2010

Ozwell

This is apparently a character from Resident Evil. I never played it but like him so did my own version.

Monday, September 13, 2010

Sunday, September 12, 2010

New image

New digital image.

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Bust and Cthulhu baby

wax casting

Casting a small character in wax, plan to do the final in metal alloy.
Made the mold in a fast setting alginate.















2 castings of the original, in wax and plaster

Monday, August 30, 2010

Rover V2

This is my second rover, complete from scratch... tho its not entirely working smoothly.
Its made of paddle pop sticks, water bottle caps for the back wheels, and the chassis of a $5 barbie toy car... along with servos, arduino, sensors and a camera mount.
I replaced barbies car motor with a hacked 3003 servo, but its acting a little weird... hence the running issues. Will up date with a video soon. Just pics for now



Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Head render test

Render test of a head Im working on... no eyes, hair etc. Just a rough comp in Photoshop. Will attempt a final comp in Nuke

Monday, August 9, 2010

5x5x5 LED Cube setup

Ive just finished putting together this LED cube, and running a little test animation to see if its working, which it is... except for one LED which is blown:( Ill fix it later. In the meantime Ill be attempting to work on a more sophisticated code... other than random flashing.














Sunday, August 1, 2010

Random

Add ImageGot a couple of things coming along atm, (mostly LED projects) but need to get my electronics theory up first. So in the meantime, here's some random stuff.

New accelerometer. Heaps of dead tech, thanks Nat



















Spider bot prototype...made from icy-pole sticks, and some leg motion tests.

Rover up date

I hadnt touched this in a while and thought I would use a protoboard to enable taking this further. A little before and after.
I plan to update software and build a proper body for it as well. Will add vids later.



Bunny man

Just the rough out, but I hadnt posted anything in a while so...
The aim is to cast this in a low melt alloy.