Saturday, February 26, 2011

Cab Update #8... yes more

Ive been looking for suitable door knobs for the bottom of the cab when i had an epiphany and decided to make my own. Just a little modification and remold and then cast in metal alloy. After a bit of sanding Im pretty happy.
Ive also cut and sanded the perspex marquee window and console top... a little scary but I found using a hole cutter was fine, although you wouldnt want to take the protective wrap off before doing this. I also made a little bracket to mount a lamp for the marquee and Ive done the marquee and console designs, but I ll show this once Ive printed and installed them... tomorrow.

Getting close now


Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Cab Update #7

Did some detailing today. Including speaker grills (top and bottom) and an aluminum bezel support (just to break up all that black) which sits between the bezel and the console.
I also did all the wiring at the back but have yet to install power buttons and LEDs. Considering dumping the case and building something of my own to make space and lessen weight, but this will do in the meantime.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Cab Update #6

Not wired up, just testing out the PC. It has definitely been the biggest headache, most of these parts are off the street and I had no idea what was working, compatible or obsolete. Its had taken a couple of weeks just in itself for me to test it and build, with many fails along the way.
It seems to be holding up for the moment. If it stays that way Ill spend some money on better RAM.

Friday, February 18, 2011

Cab Update #5

Another little Cab update. Bezel is done, took a bit of cleaning up, but is looking good so far. I also repainted the Console, Im probably going to stick art work on this later down the track and whack perspex on top but its nice in the meantime.
Please take note of the state of my study...

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Cab Update #4

All parts are attached, including wheels. Now I need to add the speaker cloth, maybe some frames to hold it in place at the for the base speakers.
Not entirely happy with the finish on some parts (mainly the console) I might try some black spray paint which I need to buy for the bezel anyway. Im also going to raise the monitor a little.

Oh, and with the left over wood and paint I made this bookshelf.

Monday, February 14, 2011

Cab Update #3

Ok, back on this project.
Had some big paint issues... indoor, outdoor... apparently it makes a difference.... ahem.
Anyway, after 3 paints and several coats of each I can now move on. The paints still not completely dry, but I had to put the top speakers, monitor and bezel in. Once it is dry I can put doors, drawers, back panel, and console in... at long last. This was meant to be a month project, now one 1 and a half. Learning, learning.
Computer is the other slowing issue. I think the motherboard (after all kinds of tests) of the one I found on the street (explains why it was on the street...) is busted, so Ill be building the machine from scratch... yay (SI)


Sunday, February 6, 2011

LED animation 101

Just a little animation test to reminded myself how to use the Arduino with Shift Registers and LEDs.
Ive got some RGB Matrices coming my way (which Ive never used before) as I want to do some old school LED animation for the head of the Cabinet... this will be a lot of work, from the electronics to programming, so I want to ease into it so not to make (too many) mistakes.

behold! (cough)

Space Invaders

These little guys are a little experiment for the cab, more later... if it works. If not this is the last time you will see or hear of them. They were cast in polyurethane from clay originals so I could refine them more. Ill recast them a little later.